ACCESS for Students with Disabilities (DSPS)

ACCESS is a federally mandated program for college students with a verified disability. ACCESS services and accommodations allow students the equitable opportunity to complete their educational goals and participate in all programs and activities at CMC.   ACCESS students receive an individualized academic accommodation plan specific to their educational limitations.

Are YOU eligible for ACCESS services?

All CMC students with a verified disability that impacts their educational progress are eligible for ACCESS services. If you had an IEP; psychological evaluation, or 504 while in high school; have current documentation or can obtain documentation from a doctor, therapist, or audiologist; you’re eligible.

If you are unable to obtain documentation or have questions regarding disability eligibility please call or email ACCESS to further discuss.

ACCESS Contact Information

ACCESS for Students with Disabilities
Copper Mountain College
6162 Rotary Way
P.O. Box 1398
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
760-366-5201, ext. 5861
TTY 760-366-5262
760-366-5265 fax 

Office Locations

ACCESS Front Desk and Counseling Academic/Disability services are located in the Greenleaf Library Room 311

Hours are: Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm and Friday 8:00am-3:00pm

ACCESS High Tech Center (HTC) lab and Testing are located in the Greenleaf Library Room 311.
Hours are subject to change based on student need and the current semester.

Please contact the ACCESS High Tech Center (HTC) Lab at (760) 366-5201 ext. 5861, email Michelle Correa at review hours posted on lab entrance.

ACCESS Alternate Media Center is located in the Greenleaf Library.
Hours are: Monday-Friday 8:00am–5:00pm

We are closed on all legal and college holidays.


Jennifer Anderson

Photo of Jennifer Anderson ACCESS Coordinator
ACCESS Coordinator

Michelle Correa

Photo of Michelle Correa ACCESS Specialist

ACCESS Specialist
760-366-5201 ext. 5861/5862

Brian Reichert

ACCESS Alternate Media Specialist
760-366-5201 ext. 5863

How to Apply to the Program
  1. Complete the ACCESS Student Application and Consent for Release of Information and submit.
  2. Obtain and submit disability documentation: 
    • Most recent IEP and Psycho-Educational Report and/or
    • Copper Mountain College ACCESS Disability Verification form with signature from a licensed professional.
    • If you are unable to obtain documentation or have questions regarding disability eligibility please call or email ACCESS to further discuss.
  1. Please drop-off your Student Application, Consent for release of information form, Disability Verification form and/or additional disability documentation at the ACCESS front desk or email your documentation to *Please allow 5-7 business days for processing.
  2. Once the ACCESS front desk receives all necessary documentation, an ACCESS staff member will contact you within 5-7 business days to schedule an initial appointment to see an ACCESS Counselor.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What disabilities may qualify me for ACCESS services?

A: List of Possible Qualifying Disabilities

  • Acquired Brain Injury
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Blind and Low Vision
  • Learning Disability
  • Intellectual Disability
  • Autism Spectrum
  • Mental Health Disability (anxiety, depression, PTSD, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.)
  • Physical Disability
  • Other: Temporary health conditions and Disabilities

This list may not contain your specific disability. If unsure, please ask.

Q: What services and/or accommodations may I be provided with?
A: ACCESS services and accommodations are determined on an individual basis and may include:

  • Academic counseling
  • Adapted computers with adaptive software in the HTC
  • ASL Interpreters
  • Assistive listening devices
  • Braille
  • Closed-captioning
  • Courtesy Cart
  • Digital Recorder
  • Disability Counseling
  • Enlarged Print
  • Ergonomic Chair/Table
  • Electronic textbooks
  • Note-taker
  • Self-Advocacy Training
  • Talking Spell checker
  • Test-taking accommodations

This list does not contain all accommodations.

Q: Will ACCESS assist me with applying to Copper Mountain College, completing orientation and/or filing my FASFA?
A: Yes, please contact the ACCESS front counter.

Q: Does ACCESS provide any financial support or supplies?
A: No, at this time ACCESS does not provide financial support or supplies.

Q: Do I have to schedule my exams with ACCESS?
A: Testing in the High Tech Center (HTC) may be an accommodation that is on your Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP). If you would like to test in the HTC, please contact the ACCESS Instructional Assistant to schedule your exam in advance.

Q: When should I request e-text from the alternate media specialist?
A: As soon as you register for classes and can submit a schedule to the alternate media specialist.

Q: When is the earliest I can check out equipment?
A: One week prior to the semester starting.

Q: How often do I need to meet with my ACCESS counselor?
A: You need to meet with your ACCESS counselor at least once per semester in order to update your accommodations, but additional meetings are available depending on student’s needs.

Q: How do I file a complaint regarding my ACCESS accommodations, implementation of accommodations and/or conflicts with personnel?
A: Please contact the ACCESS Coordinator, Jennifer Anderson. Her office is located in the student services building, please come to the ACCESS front counter to request a meeting. You may also contact her via phone at (760) 366-5286 or email 

Additional Services and Resources
Valley Star Crisis Walk-In Center
7293 Dumosa Ave #2
Yucca Valley, CA 92284
(760) 365-2233
Morongo Oasis Crisis Residential Center
60805 Twentynine Palms Highway
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(626) 362-8639
Partners Against Violence
58945 Business Center Drive, Suite C
Yucca Valley, California 92284
(760) 369-3353
Morongo Oasis Center Crisis Residential Treatment (CRT)
60805 29 Palms Hwy
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760) 974-5990
Stars Adult Behavioral Health Full Service Partner (FSP)
7281 Dumosa Ave., Ste. 4
Yucca Valley, CA 92284
(760) 853-4755
Stars TAY One Stop 
58471 Twenty-Nine Palms HWY #102 
Yucca Valley, CA 92284
San Bernardino County Resources: 
National Crisis Text Line: Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis. With over 42 million messages processed to date, we’re growing quickly, but so is the need. Read our frequently asked questions​
National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255
No matter what problems you are dealing with, they want to help you find a reason to keep living.
If you would prefer to chat online check out their website and click on the link “Click to Chat” on the right hand side. The link for their website is here:
If you are feeling anxious about recent events of mass violence call the:
Disaster Distress Hotline 1-800-985-5990
Substance abuse detox and referral information line: 1-800-SU-CARES (1-800-499-3008)