Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer
Dept. /No. – Title – Units
PSY-001 General Psychology – 3
PSY-003 Developmental Psychology – 3
PSY-005 Behavioral and Social Science Research Methods – 4
MATH-014 Statistical Methods OR
SOC-003 Fundamentals of Statistics – 4
BI-004 Elements of Biology – 3
BI-004L Elements of Biology Lab – 1
Select one course from the following (3 units):
PSY-010, PSY-012, PSY-020, PSY-023, PSY-033 – 3
Total units for the major – 21
General Education (CSU GE or IGETC) Units – 37-39
Transferable elective units as needed.
MINIMUM DEGREE UNITS – 60
Advisor: K. Muchenje
Psychology for Transfer Overview
Psychology is defined as the scientific study of behavior and the mind. The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer allows students to utilize research methods; evaluate the credibility of research, theories, and applications; understand the core fields, paradigms and theories; apply psychological concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends to questions and issues in personal experience and contemporary society; recognize the complexity of social, cultural, and international diversity; and understand the ethical standards in academic and applied psychology.
A “C” grade in all courses for the major is required.
This degree includes the following completion requirements:
(1) Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Student Learning Outcomes Psychology for Transfer
Upon successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze and communicate psychological concepts using current research. (Institutional SLOs: Communication, Critical Thinking, Ethics, and Informational Competency)
- Articulate awareness of how the diverse world impacts the psychological development of people. (Institutional SLOs: Critical Thinking, Information Competency, and Personal; Development)
- Utilize psychological terminology to analyze and evaluate issues regarding psychological concepts. (Institutional SLOs: Communication, Ethical Thinking, Ethics, and Information Competency)
Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer lays the foundation for many other rewarding, exciting, and fulfilling careers.
- Social Worker. Social work can be a common landing spot for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Market Researcher
- Advertising Agent
- Child Care Worker
- Career Counselor
Open this Website for more Information:
Students must complete the required courses for their major. General education units, transferable electives, and total degree units will vary for each student. Some considerations include the courses (and their respective units) chosen to complete a general education area or transferable elective, and if required courses for your major also count toward a general education area. Please see your academic counselor to help you reach your educational goals.