The Superintendent/President is the District’s administrative leader and is responsible for overseeing the entire District’s operations. Ongoing responsibilities include planning, budget, supervision of academic programs, administrative services and student services, and the evaluation and oversight of key administrative personnel to make certain the institution is meeting the educational opportunities of a diverse desert community and beyond through a comprehensive curriculum and support services that demonstrate a passion for the success of every individual student.
The District’s new leader will promote an environment for inclusive development of CMC’s institutional vision and direction, a broad understanding and active participation in the planning and budgeting processes, and data-informed decision making addressing institutional effectiveness.
The District seeks a courageous and ethical leader who will create a climate where innovation is valued and encouraged.
- Earned Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
- At least five years of progressive senior-level administrative experience in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in working with students, employees, and community members from diverse ethnic, racial, disability, gender, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Earned Doctorate Degree from an accredited institution or equivalent.
- Experience and proven success in community college educational leadership.
- Faculty experience in teaching or student services, and/or providing support for the roles of faculty, instruction and student services, in a higher education environment.
- Proven record of successful management of all resources, including effective budget development and oversight, as well as external resource development through pursuit of grant funding and community support through community partnerships and/or a foundation.
The ideal candidate is one with a proven record of:
- Advancing student success as an institutional priority;
- Effectively communicating with all constituent groups, with strong demonstrated experience in participative decision making and successful relationships, including those involved in employee collective bargaining;
- Viewing diversity, equity and inclusion in all its forms as a campus value, meeting needs of all student and community populations and seeking diversity in employee positions;
- Cultivating and maintaining positive and productive relationships in the community and with the military populations;
- Increasing student success metrics while managing resources effectively; and
- Effectively navigating the complexities of the California Community College policy, legal and accreditation environment or equivalent.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and negotiable, commensurate with background and experience. Fringe benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance for insurance for the employee and eligible dependents. This position is eligible for CalPERS or CalSTRS retirement. A life insurance policy and 403(b) match are also provided.
CMC Strengths and Opportunities
Copper Mountain Community College District and CMC has worked diligently in recent years in order to meet the dynamic learning environment of higher education in California. The district is well positioned to continue meeting the diverse needs of students and the communities served.
The Mission Statement reflects a collaborative effort among students, faculty, staff, and administration in support of student learning and achievement aimed at providing educational opportunities to diverse desert communities.
The five member Board of Trustees is experienced and exhibits a high level of professionalism and commitment to student success while respecting the authority granted to the Superintendent/President through Board Policy.
CMC enjoys community support that far exceeds that which may be found at other colleges.
CMC has a robust and highly functional cycle of continuous quality improvement based on data informed decision making, annual as well as long term goal setting, institution wide assessment and annual summary through our Institutional Effectiveness Report.
CMC has a well-established and high functioning partnership with the contiguous Morongo Unified School District.
To provide opportunities to residents with transportation issues, in the last several years, CMC has increased the number of Distance Education courses and provided assistance in lowering the costs of riding the public transportation.
CMC currently faces a number of opportunities that will be the focus of the Superintendent/President, including the following:
- Completing the ACCJC accreditation site visit in March 2019 will provide clear direction as to how the college can improve in meeting the standards and addressing the issues discussed in the Quality Focus Essay.
- Continue full implementation of the new Funding Formula for California Community Colleges while meeting the broad fiscal needs of the District.
- Update the 2016-2021 Education Master Plan to drive a continued focus on integrated institutional planning.
- Implement improvements to the campus infrastructure in order to provide and maintain an up-to-date, and technology rich learning, student support, and administrative environments.
- Continue efforts to improve the campus climate with an emphasis on shared purpose and participation in governance as appropriate. Integrate programs and activities addressing equity, excellence, and sustainability in all facets of the College’s operations.
- Continue implementation of the Guided Pathways Framework with a strong focus on improving student success.
Maximize CMC’s presence in the Region 9 Strong Workforce efforts while supporting local K-14 CTE Pathways.
Copper Mountain College enjoys outstanding support from the community and serves as a strong partner in the economic, social and cultural vitality of the region.
CMC is a small and unique community college where students matter the most. The administration, faculty and staff have a culture of respect, and a close knit work environment. CMC was built by the community, and that commitment continues today. CMC recently achieved full funding for a student activities center and a designated room for veterans. CMC’s Superintendent/President has opportunities to make a distinctive contribution that builds on the success of the college and the communities it serves.
Copper Mountain Community College District
CMC is a comprehensive public community college with approximately 1,300 full-time equivalent students. The educational needs of the student body are served by approximately 44 full-time and 100 part-time faculty. CMC is fiscally responsible and CMC’s employees enjoy a positive and productive working relationship with one another and the Board of Trustees.
Our mission is to provide educational opportunities for diverse desert communities and beyond through a comprehensive curriculum and support services that demonstrate a passion for the success of every individual student. Copper Mountain College offers high quality, affordable instruction that enables students to attain mastery in basic skills and career development, as well as building pathways to associate degrees, certificates, university transfer, and personal enrichment.
Situated in the high desert of Southern California at an elevation of approximately 2,500 feet, Copper Mountain Community College District (CMC) enjoys temperate year-round weather, wide-open spaces and starry night skies. The area population is approximately 100,000 residents. CMC is located 45 minutes from Palm Springs and within convenient driving distance of California’s beaches, mountains and the Colorado River. The College is adjacent to breathtaking Joshua Tree National Park. This quiet community offers some of the best property values in Southern California and without the traffic congestion.
Town of Yucca Valley
Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce
Hi-Desert Nature Museum
Joshua Tree Chamber of Commerce
City of Twentynine Palms
29 Palms Chamber of Commerce
Joshua Tree National Park
Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (29 Palms)
Reality Professionals of the Morongo Basin
Morongo Unified School District
California Welcome Center
For full consideration in the initial screening of all qualified applicants, the following materials must be submitted to the Human Resources, no later than Monday, March 11, 2019:
- Completed Copper Mountain Community College District online application, and a list of references including: two supervisors; two direct reports; two faculty members; one classified member; and one community member.
- A letter of interest (no more than three pages) highlighting the applicant’s suitability for the position, as described in this announcement and the presidential search website.
- A current resume outlining education, as well as professional and other relevant experience.
- Unofficial transcripts of educational coursework and degrees at the graduate level. (Full set of official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate or discharge as an employee.) For assistance or more information about the application process contact:
Human Resources Specialist II
Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility. This position will remain open until filled. The District reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification as a candidate or discharge as an employee. Foreign transcripts must be transcribed and evaluated in English by an approved evaluation service. Educational requirements must be met on or before the closing date. The District does not return application materials.
If you are in need of accommodation due to a verifiable disability, please contact the Human Resources Office, please contact Sharlah Harvey, Human Resources Specialist II, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Process Timeline
January 23, 2019 Superintendent/President Position Recruitment Begins
March 11, 2019 Deadline for Initial Application Review (position opened until filled)
Early April – First Level Interviews
Late April/Early May Finalist Interviews and Candidate Forums
Anticipated Starting Date: July 1, 2019 or As Mutually Agreed
CMC Contact Information:
Human Resources Specialist II
Application deadline for First Review is Monday, March 11, 2019.
Copper Mountain College is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity for all persons and to provide educational and employment opportunities free from discrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, gender identification, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, sex, race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disabilities, and other physical or verbal conduct. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the School District’s Title IX Officer and/or Section 504/ADA Coordinator.