What do I need to know about Online Learning?
How do I know if an online / distance education class is for me?
Click here to print a copy.
Successful students are
- great at time management. They plan to spend about 3 hours per credit per week (9-12 hrs per week for a 3 credit course) on their classwork. This will include the online activities, study, assignment/papers, and research time.
- self motivated. Successful online students tend to be self-starters and are self-motivated to learn the subject.
- independent learners. They need very little supervision and are able to stay on task without a great deal of classroom interaction. They understand that the instructor cannot see their facial expressions or read their body language which might suggest they do not understand a concept or point. They know they must let their instructor know when they need help or more explanation.
- comfortable using this technology. Successful students have good computer skills and knowledge. They are comfortable navigating the internet; downloading files and plugins; using email including sending attachments; opening and saving files; installing software; troubleshooting problems with their computer, browser or internet connection; uploading files; changing software settings and launching programs.
Do I need anything special?
- You will need to provide your own computer. We recommend Windows 2000 or higher and Mac OS 10.3 (“Panther”) or higher for your operating system.
- You will need an active email account preferably formatted with your first.last name. Inappropriate (offensive) email addresses will not be accepted in our academic setting.
- You will need to use Microsoft Word for your papers and assignments to be compatible with our college. Our instructors will not be able to access your papers properly if submitted in other formats. The Foundation for California Community Colleges offers student discounts: http://www.foundationccc.org/CollegeBuys/ForStudents/tabid/468/Default.aspx . We have found that the products from OpenOffice.org work well. And in most cases if you save your document in Rich Text Format or .rtf our instructors are able to open your document.
- You will need to have reliable internet access and an updated browser. We recommend that you use Firefox or Internet Explorer (IE) for your browser. Blackboard is not compatible with all browsers. Due to the wide variety of computer hardware/software/browser combinations available, it is nearly impossible to give a comprehensive list of settings but here are some common things to check - be sure that your browser settings enable the use of Java. If you are using IE8, be sure that all websites display in compatibility view and your pop up blocker is off. You may also want to add http://cmccd.blackboard.com as a trusted site.
We highly recommend that you clean up your computer before class starts for best performance. Run a thorough virus scan of your hard drive. Using your “system tools” run a disk cleanup - be sure to remove cookies and temporary files which take up lots of space and slow you down. Finally, de-frag your hard drive.
I’ve registered for an online class. Now what?
You will be able to log into your class the first day of the semester. You are required to log in during the first week of the semester.
If you have not logged in during the first week, you will be dropped from the class.
Please note that you MUST log in within 2 days of the start of class during the summer session.
Access the Blackboard Learning System: http://cmccd.blackboard.com
We have created your USERNAME and your PASSWORD.
USERNAME: Copper Mountain College Student ID #
PASSWORD (lower case) is: student.
After you are logged in, you will see a link in the left-hand side (in the TOOLS module) titled “Personal Information”. Click on this link and you will see several options, the top two are:
Edit Personal Information – click on this to update your email address and phone number. Click SUBMIT.
Change Password – click on this to change your password (be sure to write it down). Click SUBMIT.
Click on the "My Home Page" tab. In the box "My Courses" is a link to your class. Click on this link to enter your class and proceed with the instructions from your instructor.
I’ve registered for a regular (face-to-face or f2f) class but my instructor is also using Blackboard.
How do I access the information?
Your instructor will let you know when you will be able to access the Blackboard portion of your class.
Orientation for students using Blackboard for their class:
This is an opportunity to navigate a class in Blackboard. Sign up today! Space is limited.
To sign-up please call 760-366-3791 extension 5911 or email email@example.com and specify which date you would like to attend.
|DAY of the Week
| TIME of the day
| Main Campus Room
|August 13, 2013
|August 17, 2013