Frequently Asked Questions about EOPS

    What is EOPS?

    EOPS is a state-funded program serving the academically and financially disadvantaged student with counseling and other support services to ensure completion of educational goals. Student success is our number one priority. EOPS assists eligible students to reach their goals through academic, personal and transfer counseling, a book service program for books, and other services.

    What services does EOPS offer?

    • Academic Counseling
    • Priority Registration
    • EOPS Orientation
    • Four California State University and four University of California transfer application fee waivers
    • Assistance with acquisition of books through the Book Service, Book Loan, and Book Exchange Program
    • Transfer Assistance
    • Financial Aid Application Workshops
    • Various Skills Workshops
    • Supply Kit with scientific calculator, flash drive, and rolling backpack for new students
    • Parking Permit
    • Academic Awards Banquet for students with GPA above 3.0
    • Letters of Recommendation
    • Cap and Gown purchases for graduation

    What other programs are within EOPS?

    The Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) program provides services to students who are single head of household with a dependant(s) who is under the age of 14 years old. The CARE program works in conjunction with EOPS to provide support to CalWORKs students.

    The CalWORKs Program is a partnership with Copper Mountain College and the Department of Social Services to serve Welfare-to-Work recipients who are currently receiving CalWORKs cash aid. The college's CalWORKs program offers an array of supportive services designed to assist students obtain the educational level they require to transition off of welfare and ultimately achieve long-term self-sufficiency.

    How do I qualify?

    • You must be a California Resident
    • You must enroll in a minimum of 12 units of credit classes
    • Have completed less than 70 degree applicable college units
    • You must apply for financial aid and qualify for a BOG A or B fee waiver
    • You must be educationally disadvantaged, as determined by EOPS criteria

    How do I apply?

    • Complete and turn in an EOPS Application in Student Services (300 Quad)

    • Come in to the EOPS front desk or go online for an application and return it to the EOPS front desk

    • Application Period:

    • For Fall - April 1st to April 30th

    • For Spring - November 1st to November 21st

     • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

    • Come into the Financial Aid Office or complete online at

    How do I know I'm accepted?

    Your application will not be processed until we have received all required documents. Once your completed application is received and has been processed, you will receive an email from EOPS notifying you of your acceptance or denial.

    Do I have to attend EOPS Orientation?

    Yes. All EOPS students must attend an orientation to sign the EOPS Contract, paperwork, and to be eligible to receive the book service.

    What happens if a student has to withdraw from school?

    Sometimes, our students find they have to withdraw from school for one reason or another. If this situation occurs, the student should set up an exit appointment with an EOPS counselor and return all EOPS books purchased by EOPS to the EOPS Office. The appointment enables the student to leave in good standing with EOPS. When the student returns, he/she will be accepted into the EOPS program based on continued BOG A or B eligibility.

    What can a student do if he/she is having a problem?

    If a student is having school or personal issues, he/she needs to see an EOPS counselor or EOPS staff person. We are here to help. Students who stay in touch with EOPS staff, and keep appointments with an EOPS counselor are more likely to to succeed than students who do not.

    How long can a student receive EOPS services?

    Students entering the EOPS program may receive services for a maximum of (6) semesters or up to 70-degree applicable units, whichever comes first. Foundational courses such as ESL, English 50, Math 57, 50, and RDG 55, 50, 51 shall not be counted as part of the maximum number of units. Foundational semesters in which 50% or more of units are in foundational coursework shall not count towards the 6 semester limit.

    Are there any special services for transferring students?

    EOPS students are eligible to receive four application fee waivers for the California State University system and 4 application fee waivers for the University of California system.

    My BOGW changed from an A or B to a C, am I still eligible for EOPS services?

    Yes. The student may remain in the program and receive full service if he/she continues to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and has complied with the EOPS Mutual Responsibility Contract.

    Contact EOPS/CARE at 760-366-3791 ext. 4247 for more information and to find out how EOPS/CARE can help you meet your educational goals at Copper Mountain College.