Enrollment at Copper Mountain College

    VISITORS: Please use Visitor Parking. If your  visit will exceed two (2) hours, please see Admissions & Records for a temporary parking pass and where to park.Student Checklist

    Steps to Take

    STEP 1 - Complete the Application for Admission to Copper Mountain College

    The first step in the Admission process is to complete the Application for Admission This process takes about 30 minutes to complete and the information is funneled into A&R's student database.


    STEP 2 - Assessment
    First-time students and those who have not yet completed college level English, math, and reading classes must take the ASSESSMENT TEST at the campus. It is a computerized test that takes about two hours. It indicates your readiness for college level courses in three areas--reading, English, and math. Results are available immediately. NOTE: It is a good idea to check into Financial Aid right after completing your Assessment Test, so that you will know by the time you attend Orientation and register whether you qualify.

    STEP 3 - Orientation
    Attend a new student ORIENTATION. Orientation acquaints you with financial aid, College policies, and special assistance programs, and provides counselors to help you plan your classes. Take the printout of your assessment scores to Orientation. Orientation sessions are usually located in the College Library Conference Room.

    STEP 4 - Registration
    Complete the REGISTRATION process by taking the signed Registration form from Orientation to Student Services and paying for your classes. It is wise to check with Financial Aid before registering to see if you qualify for the Board of Governor's Waiver or other financial aid.

    Criminal Background Checks

    Some academic programs at the College require a criminal background check.  Students should be aware that the results of the background check may have an impact on academic program eligibility or clinical/community site placement.  You may be denied access to a program on the basis of the results of the background check.  The College is required to comply with licensing requirements and with policies of our partner agencies.  If you have a felony or a misdemeanor in your background, please see your program director to discuss the impact on your academic and professional career.

    Special Enrollment Notes

    Resident and Non-Resident Students

    Residents are persons who can provide proof of having lived in California for at least one year prior to the first day of a given semester or summer session. Dependent students, coming from outside the state, must provide proof they have been supported by a parent or guardian who is a resident of California.

    Non-Residents are adults who have not resided in the State of California for one year prior to the start of the term they wish to attend. In some cases, students who are non-resident but who attended high school in California for 3 years AND received a high school diploma or its equivalent may be exempt from non-resident fees. Check with Admissions and Records. Note: Higher fees apply to non-residents.

    High School Students - Also see K-12 Concurrent Enrollment

    Students still in high school may attend the college if recommended by the high school and approved by the parent. Such recommendations should be because the student has exhausted the offering at the high school in a particular discipline or the course is not offered at the high school.

    High school students who meet certain requirements may take Copper Mountain College classes for high school or college credit. They must be capable of "advanced scholastic or vocational work." Interested students should complete theK-12 Concurrent Enrollment form or request it from their high school or CMC Student Services. Signatures of a school official and the parent are required. Regular fees apply.

    Returning Students

    Returning students are those students who have attended the college but stopped out or went elsewhere and now wants to return to CMC. If it has been within the past three years they only need to complete the Application for Admission short-form. If it has been longer than three years, they must complete the regular Application for Enrollment. Those returning after attending another college must have the official transcript sent to CMC.

    Transfer Students

    Transfer students are those students who have attended college elsewhere prior to attending college at CMC.

    California Community College Fee Increase

    EFFECTIVE SUMMER 2012: California State Legislature increased the community college State-mandated enrollment fee to $46.00 per unit. This does affect Summer and Fall 2012 registration fees. Students are responsible for the difference in fees.

    Full or Closed Classes

    When a course reaches its maximum capacity, students cannot be added to the course. Maximum capacities for classroom courses are based on the maximum fire code capacity per each room where the course will be taught. Maximum capacities for online courses are based on faculty contracts and cannot be adjusted. Students who find that desired courses are closed are encouraged to check the Schedule of Classes to select an alternative section of those courses.

    Wait Listing

    Once a class is full, the next person trying to enroll will become the first person on the wait list and be the first person to be offered a seat in the class if someone drops or becomes an "instructor drop" for non-attendance. Coyote Tracks (student database) tracks who is next in line to be offered the open seat in the class.

    In order to be wait listed in a class, you must have a campus email address via the MyCMC portal. If you are the first person on the wait list and a seat becomes available, you will be notified via email, you will then have until the end of the business day, to come into Admissions & Records and register for that class or you can register for the class online through the MyCMC portal until 11:59 pm if no holds are on your student account.  There are no exceptions to this rule.

    Wait List Restrictions:

    Students are restricted to being either in a section or on one wait list for a section of that course. However, a student can be on a wait list for a Chem class and on a wait list for an English class, as these are not the same course. No multiple wait listing for the same course within different sections is permitted, but they can be wait listed on multiple separate courses.

    Students cannot "crash" a class! This is why we have wait listing.

    Auditing a course is not permitted.

    Contact Information

    Admissions & Records
    Copper Mountain College
    6162 Rotary Way
    P.O. Box 1398
    Joshua Tree, CA 92252

    (760) 366-3791, ext. 4232
    (760) 366-5257 fax

    For general inquiries, please email Lynda Burns: lburns@cmccd.edu

    Office Location
    Student Services is located in the 300 Quad, next to Bruce's Coyote Kitchen.

    Regular Hours:

    Monday-Thursday 8:15a-5:00p
    Friday 8:15a-3:00p

    We are closed on all legal and college holidays.

    2015-2016 Academic Calendar

    2015-2016 Holiday Schedule