A Degree With A Guarantee
The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer”, a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California community college.
The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete a minimum of 60 required semester units of CSU-transferable coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major).
This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
What does this mean to CMC students?
- By following this degree pattern, you will complete the general education requirements for the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements.
- You will be ready to apply to the CSU (California State University).
- You will have completed the Major Preparatory Requirements for your degree program.
Students who complete the requirements for an AA-T or AS-T are guaranteed:
- Junior standing at the CSU
- Priority admission consideration over all other transfer students when applying to a CSU Baccalaureate (BA/BS) degree program that has been deemed similar to the student’s community college area of emphasis.
- The transfer associate degree student will only be required to complete 60 additional prescribed units to qualify for the similar BA/BS degree.
AA-T / AS-T GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for the courses in the major.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
Please Note: Course Substitutions MAY NOT be used for courses being used toward an AA-T or AS-T.
Copper Mountain College currently offers Associate Degrees for Transfer in the following Majors:
Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T)
- Art History
- Communication Studies
- Political Science
- Social Science
- Studio Arts
Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)
- Administration of Justice
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- Early Childhood Education
Additional majors are being developed. Please see a counselor for more information.
More information regarding Associate Degrees for Transfer can be found at the following websites:
The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
The California State University